Could alkaline water be the key to better health? Some experts say yes. We’ll discuss the benefits it offers, and how to make it with in-home alkaline water filters!
You already know water is good for you. Staying hydrated is good for every part of your body, literally. Water is so essential to our body’s health. Of course, having goodwater is critical, too. We’ve all heard about people living in less developed regions or cities where they don’t have access to clean water. We know how terrible and detrimental that is.
Fortunately, many of us don’t have to worry about safe water — instead, we can find ways to improve our already acceptable water.One of the methods people are using to improve the quality of the water the consume is through alkaline water.
What is Alkaline Water?
One of the fastest growing health trends is alkaline water. Alkaline water is water rich in alkalizing compounds. As a result, it’s less acidic than other types of water, including tap and bottled water. Alkalizing compounds include potassium, calcium, bicarbonate, magnesium, and silica, among others. Additionally, as we learned in chemistry class; alkaline is the opposite of acidic. Measured in pH on a scale of 0-14, pure acid comes in with a pH of zero while purely alkaline is a 14. A pH of seven is neutral. Within your body… blood is typically in the sevens while pH is roughly 3.5 in your stomach.
What Benefits Does it Offer?
The concept behind alkaline water as a health booster was born from the idea that having a more alkaline diet leads to better overall health. Proponents of the concept say the benefits include better bone health, cardiovascular health, and digestive health:
- The negative oxidation reduction potential of ionized alkaline water might help combat harmful microorganisms in your digestive tract
- Higher alkalinity in your diet could help protect your bones from being used by your own body as a source of alkalizing compounds, preventing osteoporosis
- The alkalizing agents in alkaline water can reduce cardiovascular and respiratory stress
How do I Get Alkaline Water?
Alkaline water can be found in pre-bottled sources, but it’s not the recommended route. First, determining whether or not it’s alkaline won’t necessarily be easy.That’s because not many mainstream bottled water brands label the pH of their water. As we said above, a pH level below 7 indicates that a substance is acidic, 7 is neutral, and a pH above 7 is alkaline.
According to AlkalineWaterPlus, the vast majority of bottled waters are acidic. Dasani, Vitaminwater (which is flavored as well), Perrier, Poland Spring, Deer Park, Arrowhead, and most generic bottled waters have a pH below 7. Meaning they are on the more acidic side of the spectrum.
Evian is fairly neutral, at a pH of 7.0. Only a handful of brands have a higher pH, including Fiji at 7.5 and Real Water at 8.0. Only one widely distributed brand is highly alkaline: Essentia at 9.0.
Why Aren’t Most Bottled Waters Alkaline?
The majority of bottled waters are acidic because, as they often advertise, the water goes through an extreme filtration system prior to bottling. This is done to “purify” the water, which it does—in a sense. However, it also removes alkalizing compounds, which leaves the water more acidic.
That’s also why the bottled waters that are neutral or alkaline tend to be bottled mineral waters. They still contain some alkalizing compounds.
So What’s the Solution?
We’re glad you asked! The alkalinity of water can be changed.Your home’s tap water can be made more alkaline by using specialty alkaline water filters, and you have a ton of options, from simple, small alkaline water pitchers you can keep in your fridge to state of the art filtering ionizers that allow you to customize your water’s pH and more.
We’re going to review and compare some of the most popular types of these products so that you can choose the one that best suits your home, family, and lifestyle.
Alkaline Water Filter System Options
We’re going to start with the simplest product, a filtering pitcher, then proceed to some more mid-range countertop filtering systems. After that, we’ll cover a more heavy duty filtering solution.
The Alkaline Water Pitcher by Lake Industries (2.5 Liters)
The Alkaline Water Pitcher from Lake Industries, uses a seven stage filter which both filters your tap water instantly and adds alkalizing compounds back into the water.
- Space saving design: The pitcher holds 2.5 liters of water, and is designed with a slender silhouette that makes efficient use of your refrigerator space.
- Easy to Fill: You don’t even have to remove the cover thanks to its convenient design! Pull it out of the fridge, refill, put it back. That’s it.
- 90 day, easily replaceable filter: The provided filter lasts about 3 months and is easy to replace.
If you have limited space or a very small household, this might be an ideal solution. Priced well below 50 dollars, with refill filter cartridges at roughly half that (for a four pack), the Alkaline Water Pitcher offers a lot of convenience for a very small investment.
2.5 liters isn’t as much water as you might think, especially if you drink a lot of water or have a larger family. Furthermore, while the water filters through the cartridge “instantly,” keeping the water line above the cartridge is important to maintain the alkalinity of the water.
Zen Water Systems Countertop Filtration and Purification Systems (4-8 Gallon Options)
There are three versions of this product distinguished mainly by their volume: 4 gallons, 6 gallons, and 8 gallons. The Zen Water Systems Countertop Filtration and Purification Systems are significantly more expensive than the alkaline water pitcher we just covered, but their volume definitely justifies the higher price. These BPA-free systems “filter, purify, mineralize, alkalinize, and magnetize” water using a multi-stage filtration method.
- Medium to large capacities: Choose the size that’s right for your household. Even the smaller four gallon version is a good size for a thirsty family, and for a 4 gallon device, it’s pretty size efficient at 12.5 x 12.5 x 22 inches.
- Filters and remineralizes: The filter uses activated carbon and silica remove impurities, bad flavors, and unpleasant scents, while the Mafia Mineral Stones impart alkalizing and other beneficial minerals.
- Some filter components separated to save replacement costs: Why would you want a modular filter system? Well, one good reason is to save costs. The ceramic portion of the filter lasts up to a year, the 5 Stage portion lasts up to six months, and the Mafia Mineral Stones last 3-5 years. Modular filters allow you to replace each portion as needed rather than having to replace the entire filter each time only one part wears out.
Customizable volumes combined with reasonable sizes mean that large families with little space can use this countertop filter for great tasting, healthy water.
Cost is another big pro when you consider the amount of water you’re able to filter and store. Most countertop units comparable in function are far pricier. Furthermore, the modular filter elements keep price down while doing much more than comparably priced units.
Modular filters keep costs down, but they also require a bit more attention than single-unit filters. Also, the unit requires a good bit of set up (taking nearly two days to become operable), which more expensive units don’t require. Is the convenience vs. cost trade off worth it? That’s up to the consumer.
APEX Countertop Drinking Water Filter-Alkaline
This is another countertop unit, but it functions differently than the Zen system, because it attaches directly to your faucet.
- Inline filtering: Ultra convenient, this feature means that you don’t need to make much room on your counter at all or plan far ahead.
- Many color choices: While some filters come in white, chrome, or black, this particular filter comes in a whole rainbow of colors. Red? Sure. Turquoise? Also available! And of course, the traditional colors as well.
If you really don’t want to have to plan ahead at all when it comes to filtering and alkalizing your water, an in-line faucet filter is really the way to go. And if you’re really cramped on space, it can’t be beat.
The water pressure is affected by the inclusion of the filter, so this pours a bit slower than you might expect.
Air Water Life Aqua-Ionizer Deluxe 7.0 Alkaline Water Ionizer and Alkaline Water Machine
This is the top of the line option when it comes to alkaline water filters. What makes it different? The ability to customize your water’s pH and ionization via 7 presets and an innumerable number of custom manual options.
- Full water customization: If you want it, you can probably do it. With an easy to use LCD display including a touch panel, you can do whatever you want.
- Self-cleaning: Reversing polarity and auto-plate washing occurs every 10.5 gallons, meaning that maintenance is at a minimum.
There’s not many better options if you are really picky about your water.
Price. If you’re not really picky, it’s a bit much to pay for filtering when there are other, less expensive options.
What Should You Choose?
Every one of the above options is a great choice if it suits your family or household. The most important part of determining the right option for you is deciding what your family needs. Think about the amount of water your family goes through in a day, the space that’s available in your kitchen or refrigerator, and your family’s specific filtering and alkaline water needs. Then choose the best option available within your budget.